Friday, November 30, 2007

Mommies have a tough job...

Gabe's Hand in Mine - 2 1/2 Months Old

Mommies have a tough job as it is. But no one should have to do what I had to do today! I had to hold my little guy for his 9 month shots. (I realize many a moms have had to do this!) Yes, yes I know he's 10 1/2 months old, but any time we had a doctor's appointment, the doctor's office would call and advise that the doctor was going to be out of the office. Frustrating! I only have Friday afternoons off, so it would really be helpful to me if they could keep the appointments. I've had this happen 3 times. I'm probably overreacting... the doctor probably had some sick child emergency. (or maybe a vacation or two to some beautiful place without snotty noses, spitup, chores, laundry, etc...?) Speaking of snotty noses, poor Gabey's got one! Thankfully, it's just a little cold.
Anyway, so back to the shots. I held him while they did one in each leg. He did very well. He only cried a little. THEN, they did a finger prick to check his iron levels and they took 3 of those small, thin glass tubes that they have to press to your skin. Oh, did he scream! I felt absolutely helpless. I just held him on my lap and kept my lips pressed to his head the whole time. I would've stroked his hair to let him know I was there with him, but the nurse had me restraining his arms! How inhumane is this!? Seriously, nurses should come in pairs for these situations (I know that is totally not practical, but dang it, I don't want to hold my baby down while he's in pain!)

Gabe went to bed at 6:00 tonight. I hope he gets some good rest and doesn't remember that his mommy was one of the "bad guys".
Seriously though, I know immunizations are good for babies and they help keep them safe, but boy are they sure hard on mommies! I guess when you love someone that much, no amount of pain is just no big deal ... you never want them to experience it at all.

0 comments: