Tuesday, February 12, 2008

From Us

As an adoptive mom, there are few things I'm certain of in raising our son, Gabe. One of them is he will never have my eyes, or Greg's hands. He won't inherit the things we both like and dislike about our appearances. He won't inherit our medical histories. I'm really fine with all of that. But, I have learned that he does have traits and qualities from us that he will pass down to his children, if he decides to become a parent, no matter if they're genetic or not.

See what he's doing in the above picture? This duckie watering can also doubles as a horn. He learned that from me. Let me say that again... he learned that from ME. He laughs all the time - you know what Greg and I always tease eachother? "We laugh everyday" - you know, like those match.com commercials. Our house is a home filled with laughter, that's for sure. We're giving him that. We're passing that on. We're giving him traditions and memories, just like any other parent would do. Wow. Being a parent is such an amazing thing when you stop to think about it. As Dr. Phil says, (I'm paraphrasing here) "When you raise your children, you are writing on the slate of their lives forever". Wow. Again, Wow. What a responsibility. What an honor. What a gift. To be there - for everything. First smiles, first teeth, first friend, first car, first girlfriend, first child.

So, maybe we won't look the same, or have the same physical conditions. Maybe we don't have the same blood. But, we do have eachother. We are family. My hope is that Gabe will always know that we are a family, no matter how we got together, we are a family.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I totally understand all of that...I may have "real" parents back "home" in California...parents whose blood I share...and some physical similarities...but I have been molded more by those who love me even though I am not theirs...the Lyons', for instance, have impacted my life more than they could possibly know (except for maybe now...) they took me in as if their own and loved me no matter what...they don't question what I do or why I do them (like theater...my "real" family gives me crap all the time...) they feed me, clothe me, give me a place to stay...they are not obligated to do that, and because of all that they do my life is completely different. I owe them so much and I am so unbelievable thankful that I can call them my "family". Thanks for your blogs that make me think about what is important...it was a sweet weekend with you guys we had a ton of fun...thanks for being awesome!
-Kenny

Bri said...

Oh, Kenny... thank you for sharing that comment. It really doesn't matter if you have blood type in common at all... Family are people who love you for who you are, people who support you, and people who take care of you and vice versa. Meeting you has been a joy. We are so thankful for the Lyonses too. They treat us and Gabe as though we were family. They are very special people - they love the way Jesus taught us to.

Bri