Wednesday, August 20, 2008

To you, love Momma

Dear Gabe,
Today is your day. When we asked you this morning "Is today YOUR day?" You smiled at us and said, "Che-yeah". Today is the anniversary of the finalization of your adoption. One year ago today, you legally became a part of our family.

Gabe, we are not celebrating this day because we became a family that day, because we did not. We became a family the minute we met you. You were forever a part of us from that moment. We are celebrating today, just as a reminder of how very special your part in this family is. How Daddy and I cannot begin to remember our lives without you in them. We are celebrating how very thankful we are that all turned out well with the court proceedings, how God blessed us and kept you with us.

When we were waiting for a baby, a child that was a perfect fit into our family, we prayed for you. We prayed for your birthmom and birthdad. We prayed that God would keep you healthy as you grew in your birthmom's tummy. We also prayed that you, the child God intended to be a Herrman, would be a perfect fit. It's still so amazing to me how God was able to hand select you, me, and Daddy to be together as a family. Seven years ago, when we started trying to have a family, God already knew that YOU were the baby we would wait for. He knew that we needed you.

Gabe, we love you so much. As I'm typing this, I'm crying, thinking about how very much I love you and how much of a miracle your adoption has been. Because of one perfect, very loved baby, Daddy and I have a family, a wonderful relationship with your birth family, and joy beyond words. One tiny baby has brought two families together. One tiny baby has brought his grandparents so much delight. One tiny baby is growing into a big boy. My big boy.

Tonight, when I put you to bed, we had a bit of conversation. First, we said our prayers. Then, I covered you up and said, "I love you love you love you, baby". And you said, "La Yu. Ba Ba?" So, I gave you your bottle. As I was leaving your room, I said, "Sleepy Good!" and you said, "La Yu!" Gabe, to hear you say love you is the sweetest sound in the world. My heart is overflowing.

I love you, Gabe Herrman. You are so loved - never forget for a minute, you didn't grow under my heart, but in it.

All my love,
Momma

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

awwww... so sweet! as i read your note to gabe, i got teary eyed as i can so relate. thanks for visiting my flickr photos... i found your blog in your profile. you have a beautiful family! :) :) :)

Dr. Harland said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Dr. Harland said...

(Sorry about the deleted post, I had a spelling error and couldn't just edit it!)

Yeah, I cried too reading this! You are so great at explaining how you feel about emotional issues! I know Gabe will appreciated being able to look back at these important thoughts you have at the anniversary of his finalized adoption! Love ya